Monday, December 21, 2015

The Force Awakens


There has been an awakening...

Have you felt it?


On Friday, December 18th, at around 9 o'clock in the morning, I found myself sitting in one of the most comfortable seats I've ever seen in a movie theatre.  I'm talking about lounge chairs that recline and have leg rests built in, and they're set up for couples!  So there is an arm rest in between the pairs of seats that can be folded up and out of the way.  So I had a great, comfortable seat for the showing, which of course was in 3-D.  (The movie doesn't have any 3-D gimmicks but it makes the movie much better).  So after a half an hour of previews for Captain America: Civil War and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and (the incredibly white washed) Gods of Egypt, the following came on screen:


I was so excited!  I was about to see a new Star Wars movie!  After Revenge of the Sith was released, the whole world thought that it had seen all the Star Wars it was ever going to see on the big screen.  We might get more video games, more books, more TV shows, but not movies.  It wasn't until 2012, when Disney bought Lucasfilms, that we all learned that, yes, there would be more Star Wars.  And not just any Star Wars, the original (Legacy) cast members Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, Tony Daniels, and Peter Mayhew, alongside a new cast featuring Daisy Ridley and John Boyega.  And now that three year wait was about to be over!  And in the few seconds I had to consider all of this, those magical words: "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far way..." came and went, before John Williams epic score kicked in and those hollow yellow letters came on screen to spell out. . .


It was here.  I was watching it (with my lovely fiancee) and for the next 2 hours, life was good.  Space ships, monsters, lightsabers, aliens, good vs evil.  Star Wars was back and it was great!

Me (R2-D2) and my Fiancee (Yoda)

I will write a review after New Year's Day so people have a chance to see it without getting the spoilers.  I want to discuss all the aspects of the movie.  But for my non-spoiler review?  "It was good!  Go see it if you liked the original trilogy!"  There you go.  Short and sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vulgar, disrespectful, or otherwise just not-nice comments will not be posted. Have something nice to say, or say nothing. Questions and suggestions encouraged. Thanks for reading and commenting!